Monday, September 28, 2009

There's Too Many Sunsets I Haven't Seen

So I was looking through some of my pictures from the past oh, two years, and I found the ones I took when we went to Sun Valley and Ketchum, Idaho. Ernest Hemingway spent time there and going to the cemetery in which he is buried was a really moving thing.


There is a memorial in a place not near the cemetery that features part of the eulogy he wrote for a friend that applies pretty well to him, too. Here is part of the eulogy that is drawn from for his memorial:

"He loved the hills in the spring when the snows go off and the first flowers come. He loved the warm sun of summer and the high mountain meadows, the trails through the timber and the sudden clear blue of the lakes. He loved the hills in the winter when the snow comes.
Best of all he loved the fall. He told me that the other night while riding home in the car from the pheasant hunting, the fall with the tawny and grey, the leaves yellow on the cottonwoods, leaves floating on the trout streams and above the hills the high blue windless skies. He loved to shoot, he loved to ride and he loved to fish." -Ernest Hemingway, 1939


I just thought it was kind of applicable for the autumnal feelings I'm having right now. Yep.

No comments: