Thursday, June 2, 2011

Strawberry Bubble Gum

I know there are a lot of things about Michigan right now that aren't great. I know that, economically, it has had bad times and really bad times. But then I think about the amazing experience I had growing up in the Southwestern part of the lower peninsula and I remember that Michigan is pretty darn great.

Today, one of my coworkers said something about the joy of fresh fruit. Right away, I was thinking about the summers I spent working at the farm stand. I thought of the strawberries I ate fresh from the field, still warm from the sun. I thought of our trips down the road to the blueberry farm, tying coffee cans around our waists, and picking many pounds of berries to take home. I thought of the long drives out on the roads that passed by more vineyards, orchards, and road side stands than I can count.

Yes, Michigan is pretty awesome.

I remember being able to ride my bike all over town, visiting the library, visiting the park. I loved hanging out at that park with friends, swinging until our legs hurt (or someone broke a bone) in the dark, drinking in summer air. I remember the video scavenger hunts, the hanging out, the movie marathons. The friendships I made growing up, the amazing adventures we had, groups we were in and championships we worked our asses off for, were all so spectacular that I often can't really explain them to people who don't understand.

Michigan people know, though.

Mmmm Michigan. Pure and simple. Amazing. I love you.

No comments: